Leggings are Definitely Not Tailored, but Necessary

I am dying to start my trousers and matching waistcoat.  I've decided to adopt British clothing and sewing terms.  I could listen to British people talk about this all day.  Sure, I could say I'm making a vest, but waistcoat sound so much cooler and more tailored.  Maybe I'm just a little bit of an Anglophile.  (I totally am).


However, on my way to making the tailored duds I fell into a pair of leggings and sports bra.  I am working on being healthier, and doing a lot of yoga.  I decided to make a new workout outfit with some heavy weight (14 oz) cotton lycra fabric I'd received last year in a bottom weight box from LA Finch Fabric.  Good people; good fabric; great prices.

This is my first pair of leggings and first bra of any kind!  All made on the serger pretty quickly.




These leggings are literally made-to-measure and that is the name of the pattern.  I don't think you can buy the pattern straight out, but you can buy the class that teaches you how to get the measurements for the pattern (M2M leggings class).  There's a hack to add power net to a waistband, but I did not do that on this pair.

The bra is from sew-sew-easy and it's free!  (Ultimate sports bra pattern).  It was really easy.  I did switch out the fold over elastic and used the main fabric instead.  I cut two 1" rectangles at 0.85*length of the arm holes.  I thought that was too thin for the neckline, so I made that rectangle 2" wide.  The fold over elastic was not the right color. I have no idea if they even make it in robin egg blue (or as I like to call it "Tiffany blue").  

I'm making another set in a deep pink/black heather, which is more my color tone.  It's sort of a black cherry color.  The leggings are done.  The bra will be done tomorrow.  And then...

BRING ON THE TWEED TROUSERS AND WAISTCOAT!!!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts